FAQ on Car Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have auto Insurance?
Yes, the Motor Vehicle Act states that every motor vehicle plying on the road has to be insured, with a Liability Only policy at the very least.

What is a cover note?
A cover note is a temporary Insurance document establishing proof of Insurance with which you can register your vehicle. A cover note is valid for 60 days from the date of its issuance and is replaced by an Insurance policy.

What are the different types of auto Insurance available?
There are 2 types of covers available:
  1. Liability Only cover – insures you against any legal liability following an accident involving your vehicle. It does not cover any damage to your vehicle.
  2. Package cover – Insures all liabilities, as per the Motor Vehicles Act, as well as damages caused to your vehicle.
What is covered under a Package/Comprehensive Policy ?
Own Damage to the Insured vehicle caused by:-
  • Accident by External Means
  • Fire, Explosion, Self Ignition and Lightning
  • Transit by Road, Rail, Inland Waterway, Air, Lift
  • Burglary, House breaking or Theft
  • Terrorism, Riots, Strikes or Malicious Acts
  • Earthquake, Flood, Storm, Landslide, Rockslide

Third Party Liability:-

  • Injury or Death of Third Party
  • Property Damage (TPPD upto Rs. 7.5 Lacs)
Personal Accident:-
  • Personal Accident for Owner Driver (Sum Insured - Rs. 2 lacs)

Also includes reimbursement of Towing Charges, upto Rs. 1500 for cars, Rs. 300 for two wheelers and Rs. 2500 for commercial vehicle or actuals, whichever is lower.

What are the different classes of vehicles which can be insured by a Motor Insurance Company?
A Motor Insurance Company normally provides both Comprehensive and Liability Only Policies for all the below mentioned classes of vehicles:
  • Private Car
  • Two Wheelers
  • Commercial Vehicles
    1. Goods Carrying Vehicle (GCV)
    2. Trailers
    3. Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCV)
    4. Miscellaneous and Special Types of Vehicle
What documents do I need to submit when buying Insurance for my vehicle?
The documents required by the Insurance Company to insure your vehicle or to renew the existing Insurance would differ from case to case. Generally, the Insurance company may ask for the filled-up and Signed Proposal form, cheque for Premium Amount, Copy of RC Book, Copy of existing insurance policy etc. In addition, the Insurance company may ask for other documents, as it deems fit.
The Insurance Company may also want to inspect your vehicle before insuring it Please note insurance on a vehicle is not valid unless the required amount of premium is received and realized by the concerned Insurance Company and the cover note has been issued by the Insurance Company. 

For the insurance to be valid, the concerned cheque/ DD would need to be cleared in bank, the required documents have to be submitted to the insurance company, and the cover note should have been issued by the insurance company.
Are there any specific exclusions under the Motor Policy?
Following are not covered in the Motor Policy:-
  1. Wear & tear
  2. Mechanical or Electrical Breakdown, failure
  3. Depreciation, any consequential loss
  4. Driving under the influence of Liquor or Drugs
  5. Loss or damage attributable to War, mutiny, nuclear risks
  6. Any contractual liability
What is IDV (Insured’s Declared Value)?
The Insured’s Declared Value (IDV) of the vehicle will be deemed to be the ‘SUM INSURED’ and it will be fixed at the commencement of each policy period for each insured vehicle.
The IDV of the vehicle is to be fixed on the basis of manufacturer’s listed selling price of the brand and model as the vehicle proposed for insurance at the commencement of insurance /renewal and adjusted for depreciation (as per schedule specified below). The IDV of the said car(s) and / or accessories, if any, fitted to the vehicle but not included in the manufacturer’s listed selling price of the vehicle is also
Like-wise to be fixed.
Not exceeding 6 months 5%
Exceeding 6 months but not exceeding 1 year 15%
Exceeding 1 year but not exceeding 2 years 20%
Exceeding 2 years but not exceeding 3 years 30%
Exceeding 3 years but not exceeding 4 years 40%
Exceeding 4 years but not exceeding 5 years 50%
How is the premium calculated?
The premium is calculated basis the Make/Model of your vehicle, its Age, Place of Registration, Fuel Type and Insured Declared Value (IDV).
The premium is also subject to certain deductions based on the Insured’s Age and Occupation and the No Claim Bonus earned by the Insured during the policy period. You will need to submit documents or particulars to avail of these discounts.
In case you want extended coverage - for Personal Accident, Electrical / Non Electrical Accessories, etc. - you may have to pay an additional premium for the same.
What is a No Claim Bonus (NCB)?
Quite simply, it's a discount in the Own Damage premium payable when renewing your policy after a claim-free year. It is an incentive for driving carefully and avoiding accidents.
All types of Vehicles % of Discount on Own Damage premium
No claim made or pending during the preceding full year of insurance 20%
No claim made or pending during the preceding 2 consecutive years of insurance 25%
No claim made or pending during the preceding 3 consecutive years of insurance 35%
No claim made or pending during the preceding 4 consecutive years of insurance 45%
No claim made or pending during the preceding 5 consecutive years of insurance 50%
Can I transfer my No Claim Bonus Discount?
In the event that you want to shift your insurance policy from one company to the other, you can transfer the No Claim Bonus accrued on your previous policy. You can avail the full benefit as you would with your previous Insurer
Can I pay the premium for my auto Insurance in installments?
No, the law (Insurance Act, 1938) does not permit an Insurance Company to accept auto Insurance premiums in installments.
During the policy period, if I add accessories like a music system in my vehicle, are they also covered?
This is entirely at the discretion of the Insurance Company. You will need to make a written request to the Insurance Company, with a description of the accessories along with their value. You may also have to pay an additional premium.
What are the different types of Personal Accident Covers available for drivers and passengers?
An owner-driver is provided Personal Accident Cover of up to Rs. 2 lacs (for cars)/Rs. 1 lac (for two-wheelers). This cover can also be extended to paid drivers and persons traveling in the vehicle, on a named as well as unnamed basis.
How do I renew my policy?
You can renew your policy through Mahindra First Choice Wheel’s Store from where you bought your car / policy.
Do I need lodge an FIR in case of an accident?
You would need to lodge an FIR in the following circumstances:-
  • Any third party personal injury or death due to an accident involving your vehicle.
  • Any personal injury or death of a paid driver.
  • Any personal injury or death of an owner-driver.
  • Any personal injury or death of a passenger.
  • Any third party property damage.
  • Theft of the entire vehicle.
  • Theft of accessories, stereo-recorders, other vehicle parts.
  • Any loss or damage to the vehicle by miscreants, rioters, terrorists, arsonists, etc.
What documents need to be submitted when I make a claim?
You will need to submit a claim form along with the following:
  • A copy of the vehicle's registration book.
  • A copy of the driving license of the person driving the vehicle at the time of the accident.
  • An estimate of the repairs.
  • A copy of the police FIR/ panchnama in case of theft or any third party personal injury/death or property damage.
  • If the vehicle is declared a total loss, either due to an accident or theft, you will also have to provide the following documents - RTO transfer papers, original RC book, original Insurance policy, the vehicle's original keys, a no objection certificate from you for transfer of the vehicle, a letter of indemnity on judicial stamp paper and a letter of subrogation on judicial stamp paper.
  • Any other documents asked for by the Insurance Company.
What is meant by Total Loss?
Total Loss generally refers to accident damage to your vehicle where the cost of repairs amounts to more than 75% of the IDV on your policy.
Kindly note that the text matter mentioned above is only a general guideline on Motor Insurance. For specific details please contact your Insurance Advisor.
Mahindra First Choice Wheels Ltd does not accept any liability for any loss, damage etc. that may occur on account of actions taken based on the text matter given above. Since these are general guidelines Mahindra First Choice Wheels Ltd does not guarantee the correctness of the contents